Robert Henry Waters
Birth Date: May 11, 1929Death Date: January 31, 2018
Robert Henry Waters, 88, born on May 11, 1929 to Ruth Bell Avery Waters and Albert Henry Waters in Honey Grove, Texas. He passed away on January 31, 2018. Robert will be deeply missed by his family, friends, and all who knew him.
Visitation for Robert will be on Monday, February 12, from 6-8 PM at Restland Funeral Home. Funeral service will be on Tuesday, February 13 at 2:30 PM in the Memorial Chapel at Restland Funeral Home. Graveside service will follow in Restland Cemetery.
Robert H. Waters is survived by his wife, Sondra L. Shiver – Waters, one daughter, Tracey Richerson and husband Dennis Richerson of Missouri, three granddaughters, 1 grandson, 1 great granddaughter & two great grandsons.
Preceded in death by first wife, Minnie Waters and one son, Jeffery Clay Waters and nephew Gary Spann.
A Native Texan, Brother R. H. Bob Waters was born in Honey Grove, Texas on May 11, 1929, attended Paris Junior College, Southern Methodist University, North Texas State University and Dallas Bible College. He served in the U. S. Merchant Marine. 1945-1946. He served in the U. S. Navy, Pacific Theater during 1946-1950, was an active Navy Reservist 1958-1981, receiving the First Reserve Seabee Brigade Certificate of Achievement in 1974 and the 22nd Reserve Seabee Battalion “Seabee of the Year” in 1976. He retired from the Naval Reserve Service on February 1, 1981.
Brother Waters and Minne Salazr of Bellville, Texas were married on August 20, 1949. They have two Children, four Grandchildren and four Great Grandchildren. They are members of First Baptist Church, Garland, Texas. Brother Waters was a Sunday School Teacher and superintendent for many years.
Brother Waters’ Civic Activities, have included service with the Lions Club, Junior Chamber of Commerce, Garland Police Monitor and Garland Optimist Club, where he served four years as Secretary.
Brother Waters retired after 31 years of service with Lever Brothers on March 1, 1988 where he was District Manager, Dallas District, managing company affairs within an eight state area. His District was, for several years at the top in sales achievements, and at his retirement, was ranked number 4 out of a total of 18 Districts in the United States.
R.H. BOB WATERS
- Raised a Master Mason in Honey Grove Lodge No. 164 AF & AM on
September 7, 1951
- Member of Trinity Valley Lodge No. 1048, 1960-1967
- Member of Anchor Lodge No. 424, 1968-1972
- Past Master & Life Member of Sunset Lodge No. 1388.
- Life Member of Garland Lodge No 441.
- Life Member of Allen Lodge No. 1435
- Endowed Member of Mesquite Lodge No, 928.
- Endowed Member of R. C. Buckner Lodge No. 1176
- Endowed Member of Chalk Mountain Lodge No. 894.
- Endowed Member of Venus Lodge No. 804.
- Endowed Member of Aubrey E. Hope Lodge No. 1446,
- Past Master & Endowed Member of Honey Grove Lodge No. 164.
- Member of Royce City Lodge No. 663
- Past master & endowed member of Roxton Lodge No. 543.
- Past Master & Endowed Member of Constantine Lodge No. 13
Secretary 2009 – present
- Golden Trowel Award – 2010
- Member of Ashley Lodge No. 681
- Member of Excelsior Lodge No. 505
- Past High Priest & Life Member of Garland Chapter No. 451, RAM
Secretary Garland Chapter No. 451 RAM 1960-1964 & 1972-1980
- Life Member of Dallas Chapter No. 47, RAM
- Past Thrice Illustrious Master & Life Member of Garland Council No. 118 R&SM.
- Life Member of Dallas Council No. 18, R&SM.
- Past Commander & Life Member of A.C. Garrett Commandery No. 103, K.T.
- Life Member of Dallas Commandery No. 6, K.T.
- President of the InterimBoard of Directors, Texas Retirement Center, 1977.
- District Deputy Grand Master, Cryptic District No. 51-A, Grand Council R&SM of Texas, 1977.
- District Deputy Grand Master, Masonic District No. 14-D, Grand Lodge of
- Served as Grand High Priest, Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Texas, RAM,
- Served as Grand Master, Grand Lodge of Texas, AF&AM 1983-1984.
- Served as Master of Kadosh, Master of the Royal Secret, Dallas Consistory,
- Grand Representative of the Grand Chapter of Alabama, RAM, near Texas.
Grand Representative of the Grand Council of New Jersey, R&SM, near Texas
- Grand Representative of the Grand Lodge of Florida, F&AM, near Texas
- Credentials Committee, Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Texas RAM 1972-1975
- Public Relations & Membership Committee, Grand Chapter/Grand Council of Texas 1980-1984
- Grand Officers Reports Committee, Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Texas 1981-1985.
- Purposes & Policies Committee, Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Texas, RAM 1985-1989, Chairman 1988-1989.
- York Rite Festival, Liason & Coordinating Committee, Grand Royal Arch
Chapter of Texas, 1989-1991
- By-Laws Committee, Grand Council of Texas, R&SM, 1980-1984
- Finance Committee, Grand Council of Texas R&SM, 1985-1989
- Chairman, Memorials Committee, Grand Council of Texas, R&SM, 1991.
- Purposes &Policies Committee, Grand Council of Texas, R&SM, 1992-1997
Chairman, 1992, 1994, 1995.
- Chairman, Membersahip Committee, District One, Grand Commandey of
- Printing Committee, Grand Commandery of Texas, K.T. 1992
- Fraternal Relations Committee, Grand Lodge of Texas, AF&AM 1987-1989
- Grand Officers Report Committee, Grand Lodge of Texas , AF&AM
- Purposes and Policies Committee, Grand Lodge of Texas, AF&AM,
1992-1998. Chairman, 1992, 1995, and 1998.
- Grand Lodge Library and Museum Board of Directors, 2008 to present
- Life Esoteric Certificate, Class A. Grand Lodge of Texas, AF&AM
- 20 Year Esoteric Certificate, Grand Chapter, RAM & Grand Council, R&SM.
- 33rd Degree Inspector General Horoary & Life Member, Dallas Scottish Rite
- Past Sovereign, Ascension Conclave, Red Cross of Constantine.
- Past Preceptor of Tabernacle No. IX, Holy Royal Arch Knights Templar
Priests, Registrar, 1992 to Present.
- Member of Texas College, Societas Rosicruciana in Civitatibus Foederatis.
- Super Excellent Master.
- Member of Order of High Priesthood.
- Member of Order of the Silver Trowel.
- Member in Perpetuity, Waco-Connally Chapter No. 482, National Sojourners.
- Member of Hella Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S.
- Life Member, Knights of Mecca, Hella Temple.
- Member of Texas York Rite College No. 14.
- Member of North Texas York Rite College No. 118.
- Member of Royal Order of Scotland.
- Member of Texas Priory No. 23, K.Y.C.H., Two Quadrants.
- Member of North Texas Priory No. 73, K.Y.C.H., Two Quadrants.
- Member of York Rite Esoteric Association of Texas.
- Life Member of Chinar Grotto, Houston, Texas.
- Charter Monarch of Alla Grotto, Dallas, Texas, Chartered 273 Prophets, 1st
Lined 111 Candidates.
- Life member, V.I.P., Grottoes of North America.
- Secretary, Alla Grotto, Dallas, Texas, 1988-1990.
- Fraternal Relations Committee, Grottoes of North America 1988-1990. Vice-
- Zone Director, El Texa Grotto 1988-1990.
- Distribution & Credentials Committee Grottoes of N. A., 1989.
- Grievances & Appeals Committee, Grottoes of N.A., 1990.
- Grand Line Aide, Grottoes of N.A. 1989-1990.
- Life Member of Garland Chapter No. 156, Order of Eastern Star.
- 20 Year Advisory Board Member, Order of DeMolay.
- Cross of Honor, Order of DeMolay, 1963.
- Legion of Honor, Order of DeMolay, 1973.
- Colonel, Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels.
- Member of the Sam Houston Hall of Fame.
Further Points of Interest
Brother Waters, during his four years of Service to the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Texas, attended over 800 tiled meetings, and traveled some 85,000 miles. He attended 135 of the 197 Royal Arch Chapters of Texas and during his year as Grand High Priest attended 250 tiled meetings and traveled 30,000 miles by automobile.
During Brother Waters’ four years of service to the Grand Lodge of Texas, he attended 921 tiled meetings, and during his year as Grand Master he attended 321 tiled Masonic Meetings, Leveled 14 Cornerstones, Dedicated 10 Buildings, Opened a Special Representation of the Grand Lodge of Texas in the Senate Chamber, at the State Capital in Austin, Texas, (the Second time in the History of the Grand Lodge of Texas; Brother Sam Houston was privileged to open the Grand Lodge in the Senate Chamber) for the first Masonic Awareness Day (over 5,000 present), and attended 4 other Grand Jurisdictions, traveling some 42,566 miles by car and thousands and thousands of miles by air. He wore his apron to some 200 meetings a year until it was presented to Honey Grove Lodge No. 164 to hang in the Lodge Room as a memento.
Truly, Right Worshipful Brother Waters was and has continued to be one of the most traveled and best known Grand Lodge Officers and Mason in the history of this Grand Lodge, having visited, during his service, as a Grand Officer, 622 of the Texas lodges, 137 of the Texas Chapters & Councils, 81 of the Commanderys, all 9 of the Scottish Rite Bodies, 14 Sister Grand Lodge Jurisdictions and 5 of our Sister Grand Chapter & Grand Council Jurisdictions.
Funeral arrangements have been entrusted to Restland Funeral Home and Cemetery, 13005 Greenville Avenue, at Restland Road, Dallas, Texas 75243.